*LOCATION CHANGE: We will meet at St. John AME Church at 210 Clinton St. Frankfort KY instead of St. Paul UMC*
Nearly 1,000 youth and adults attend Children's Advocacy Day each year. We need you to help pack the rotunda and ask elected officials to prioritize kids in the legislative session.
Children's Advocacy Day at the Capitol began in 2004 as an effort to unite advocates from across the state to raise their voices on behalf of children's safety, health, education, and economic well-being.
Each year, the United Methodist Women join KyUMH along with members of United Methodist congregations across the state. We unite with advocates, business leaders, youth, and elected officials to be a visible and audible presence for Kentucky's children and youth.
Did you know?
It is a well-known rule of thumb to legislators and grass roots lobbyists that for every constituent who takes the time to contact a legislator about an issue, there are 1000 more concerned about that same issue. Legislators want to know what their constituents think about issues so that they can represent their district well and be re-elected. Your presence helps us show elected officials that we care about at-risk children and we want our tax dollars spent to help Kentucky's most vulnerable. With the state budget challenges, legislators are getting pulled in many directions for many causes. It is our job that day to make sure that they put children and families at the top of the priority list.
Other children’s groups who attend include, the Children’s Alliance, Community Coordinated Childcare, Kentucky Child Now!, Kentucky PTA, Kentucky Youth Advocates, Kosair Children’s Hospital, and much more.
Registration and Details
What to Know Before You Go:
- Register Here via Email to Stand Up for Kids. Please include your name, phone number, address, and whether you will need a ride in the shuttle.
- All attendees will meet at St. John AME in Frankfort. The address is 210 Clinton St, Frankfort KY.
- Attendees can either ride in provided vans or their own personal vehicle to the Capitol. Please indicate on your registration form if you would like to ride in the van.
- Prior to coming, call to make an appointment with your legislator. If you are not familiar with your representative, visit http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/home.htm.
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Bring your picture ID for the security check at the Capitol building. They will scan your personal bags and you will walk through a metal detector.
- Elevators are available and most everything is handicap accessible.
Schedule for Children’s Day at the Capitol:
- 8:30 a.m. - Meet and greet at St. John AME
Coffee and muffins are provided by St. Paul UMC women.
- 9 a.m. - Brief presentation on legislation affecting children to share with legislators by Bart Baldwin, government relations consultant.
- 9:30 a.m. - Commute to the Capitol either in provided vans or your personal vehicle. Vans will park near the front entrance.
- 10:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. - Meet with your legislators--both Senate and House representatives. The Annex building is connected to the Capitol Building via a basement tunnel, so you may avoid inclement weather and another security check. Senate offices are on the 2nd floor on the Annex and House offices are on the 3rd and 4th floor of the Annex building.
- You can have lunch in the cafeteria on your own (basement of the Annex).
- 2 p.m. - Meet at the vans and return to St. John AME
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.